This is an MG TF 1500 but has a 1250 engine fitted
Great straight body Easy restoration
All import duties paid and Will be registered
Introduced 1953 - 1955
Number built - 9600 cars - all versions
Often referred to as 'the last of the square riggers' the Rover TF gained this title due to its very strong resemblance to the pre-war Midgets. Originally launched at the 1953 Motor Show the TF was greeted with mixed reactions from enthusiasts and journalists alike. It was no secret that the TF was a stop gap measure due to a delay in putting the long awaited MGA into production. This was due entirely to Leonard Lord, the BMC Managing Director who favoured the proposal put forward by Donald Healey for his Healey 100. Healey had pipped the Abingdon men by several days which resulted in the long awaited MGA project being put on hold for at least a couple of years. Lord considered that the MGA and Healey were so similar and it was for this reason that the TF became part of MG history. Many considered that the TF was simply a revamped TD, one scathing journalist even reported that it “looked like a TD with the front pushed in". To the Abingdon engineers, led by Cecil Cousins, it was a model that was sufficiently different from its predecessors and yet continued the traditional T series classic lines. The TF was introduced at a time when other manufacturers were producing very sleek and streamlined models. The aforementioned Healey although from the same camp was seen as a direct competitor and Triumph with their TR2 were viewed in the same light. Other makes that MG had to compete with at that time were Morgan, Porsche, AC and Jaguar with their stunning XK 120. Many motoring journalists thought that the TF would be a non-starter, particularly with such a varied sports car selection available to prospective purchasers. However, even in the light of this stiff competition and the fact that the TF was only intended as a stop gap measure, sales of the two TF versions, 1250 cc and 1500 cc totalled 9,600 in 19 months which was a creditable achievement. The prototype TF was produced in true Abingdon style being put together in just a few weeks by Cecil Cousins and his team. Based on a TD chassis the prototype was built up without any reference to plans and was swiftly approved by BMC before proper working drawings were undertaken in May 1953. By September of that year the TF was put into full production.